Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Porcupine Hunt

We have this amazing friend named Brayden that is probably one of the best people I know and he left this week to go home.  But before he left, he treated us to one amazing time!  We drove up the pass into Canada on a porcupine hunt.  That is also on my list of animals to see in Alaska and thus far I have only seen one that was smashed on the side of the road, so that didn’t quite cut it for me.  So, we went on our hunt and we weren’t seeing anything, except for the pretty nature of course, so we were heading back to Skagway and all the sudden Audrey thinks she’s seen one!  So, we turn around and jump out of the car in search of him!  As we’re looking all of the sudden this big pokey bush looking thing pops out of the end of the guard rail!!!!  There was a bucket of water in there that he had been drinking and when he heard us he was ready to get moving again.  It was kind of insane how big he was!  He just kept looking at us like we were nuts and in his way, so we kept our distance, and I won’t lie, I was a little nervous about being too close to him!  But Brayden assured me that all would be well, and it was.  At one point he was drooling so we decided that since he was black and drooling we would call him P-Drizzle.  I thought it was very fitting :)

 Alaska 181 Alaska 177 Alaska 178

Alaska 180

Brayden even got us some of his quills to remember him by.  Don’t worry, he just threw his hoodie on him and some of the quills came out.  Nothing too sketchy!  It was absolutely glorious though, the entire occasion.  I felt like a little kid at Christmas I was so excited to finally see one!  They’re quite large too.  Thank you Brayden!

Church in Alaska 022

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I've never been on a porcupine hunt and don't know that I'd really want to, but it looks like you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete